Tuesday, August 5, 2008

We love all Childrens' Museums!

We had so much fun together on Alan's night off yesterday. We drove up American Fork Canyon to have our family night. We had a lesson on testimonies and made s'mores over a fire that Alan, Dagan and Logan made. Sometimes I take special note in my mind why it's great to have all boys. Last night was one of those nights. I'm not sure about little girls in the outdoors but as with our camping trip this summer, our boys will play with rocks, sticks, dirt, bugs, logs and whatever else they can find for as long as we will let them. They entertain themselves and seldom quarrel as they interact with nature. Morgan could have spent all night throwing rocks into the rushing stream (river?) if it weren't for his worrier mother picturing any one of her boys falling in. (I sometimes feel I worry too much and interfere with their natural inclination to be carefree. I've eased up but still seem to obsess over their safety.) This morning we had a babysitter while Alan and I went to the Jordan River Temple together...always a most rewarding date. Then Alan and I made freezer jam while Dagan and Logan played outside. Alan occasionally laments that he would like to just hang out at home sometimes on his days off. And then I end up packing in as much as I can considering most of the time the kids and I are at home.

To continue the NY narration, we went to the Children's Museum in Saratoga Springs , NY--just minutes from my hometown in NY. This is the third children's museum we've been too (Portland and SLC as well) and while they each have their own unique flavor, they do not disappoint. Where else can you take your children and not once have to tell them not to touch something? It wasn't hard for us to justify getting a family membership to the SLC one. The Saratoga Springs, NY museum was different in that it had some antique items like a cash register and grocery scale for the kids to use. There was quite a bit of history in the museum as can be expected from the town where the Battle of Saratoga occurred.



Alan helped the kids put on a little skit for Mommy in the theater. He was in costume as well.


Logan loved being the cashier and didn't want to turn the job over to anyone else.

Here they are taking after Daddy in the kitchen. I never knew how important it was for boys to learn how to cook until I was blessed with a husband that can!
Uncle Andrew (Tara's youngest brother) helped them with the construction project below.


No comments: