Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Celebrating the Fourth

Each year on the fourth of July my Dad's side of the family (the Miner side) has a picnic reunion. As far as I can remember it has been hosted by my Aunt Margaret and Uncle Dick Waite. Dick is my Grandma Miner's brother. It's great food and people come from all over. It's wonderful to be able to see everybody at one time. We haven't been able to coordinate our trip with the Fourth since Dagan was a baby so it was a special year for us. I matched all of my boys.

Morgan, not surprisingly, found a basketball on his own which kept him content for a while. Only problem was that the hoop there required a lift--which Tara's cousin Lance provided.

One of my favorite parts of the day was a break from Morgan (kind of kidding!). Morgan took readily to my Dad's cousin's daughter, Alexis. She was such a sweetheart to play with him for a while and he adored her. We kind of want to adopt her now but I know Alexis' mom loves her as a helper with her three younger siblings.

Meanwhile, Dagan had a blast going down the "slip-n-slide" that was on a hill.

After the picnic, we all went to a parade in nearby Salem. The kids got a LOT of candy!

Morgan taking a snooze before the parade:

After the parade Salem has a carnival. I always look forward to their fried bread dough! They have a bounce house for the kids to jump on and a bunch of games. My guilty pleasure is that this is the only time I ever gamble. We play BINGO as a family in a building on the carnival grounds. I think the proceeds benefit the fire department (so I'm really contributing to a charitable cause). This year I brought Dagan and Logan along. The three of us were the biggest winners there. We won four times (a total of $20) between the three of us in the hour or so that we played. We even had some profit after the games I paid for. My cousin Margo, to the right below, helped Logan.

Dagan didn't need any help at all and was so proud that he won!

It was hard to say good-bye. This was the first time that my aunt and cousins (the three ladies on the right) from North Carolina had met my family. Can't wait eight years next time! Standing next to me is my Dad's cousin Heidi, from Massachusetts, who we've fortunately been able to see every time we've been to NY.

No comments: